Call for an instant quote
0345 90 80 161
Open Mon to Fri 09:00 - 17:30 | Sat 09:00 - 16:00 (GMT)
27 September 2016 08:09
Monarch Airlines has been forced to deny "negative speculation" that the firm is in financial trouble
Monarch Airlines says its flights are operating as normal amid fears the firm is in financial trouble.
The airline says it is "trading well" after speculation that the company could go bust.
Forced to respond to rumours
Responding to rumours on Twitter, Monarch denies the firm is in trouble as worried customers continue to take to social media to ask if their flights would still be running.
In a stock response, a staff member said: "We're unsure of where these rumours originated but we can confirm they are not true."
A representative for Monarch Airlines says the company expected to make £40 million before tax and other cost deductions by the end of the financial year to October, despite what it said was a "difficult period" for the travel industry following terrorist atrocities, Brexit and the plunging pound.
A spokesman said: "Over the weekend, there has been negative speculation about Monarch's financial health.
"Our flights are operating as normal, carrying Monarch passengers as scheduled.
"To weather tougher market conditions and to fund its ongoing growth, Monarch expects to announce a significant investment from its stakeholders in the coming days."
Monarch, which is headquartered at Luton airport, employs around 2,800 people, according to its website.
In 2014, the airline agreed a rescue deal of more than £100 million, which saw pay cuts of up to 30% for staff and hundreds of redundancies.
As part of the deal, Greybull Capital acquired 90% ownership interest in the company, with the remaining 10% passing to Monarch's defined pension scheme and ultimately the Pension Protection Fund.
The company, which was formed and opened its first hangar at Luton airport in 1968, says it will announce new investment imminently.
Travellers planning to fly should take out travel insurance to protect against delays and cancellations.
21 October 2016
A union is warning of travel chaos over the Christmas period at four major UK airports, unless a baggage carrier transfers staff to other companies.
20 October 2016
Thousands of passengers faced travel chaos yesterday after rail service through the Channel Tunnel was suspended because of a power failure.
19 October 2016
People planning holidays from Gatwick Airport in the run up to Christmas could face travel chaos as unions threaten to strike over a pension dispute.
18 October 2016
Eurostar has said it will cut 12 services from London St Pancras to Paris and Brussels.
15 October 2016
Tourists in Thailand are being advised to "behave respectfully" and wear "sombre" clothing as the country mourns King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
14 October 2016
Holidaymakers are being warned to buy currency in advance as exchange rates being offered are as little as 0.96 euro to the pound at airports.
13 October 2016
Scientists say there is strong evidence air pollution and vitamin D deficiency can cause dementia.
12 October 2016
More people are going on holiday than at any time in the past five years despite terror attacks and the impact of Brexit, according to a study.
11 October 2016
People from across North Carolina had to be rescued from their homes as the downgraded Hurricane Matthew blew out to sea - leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.
04 October 2016
People travelling abroad is on the rise, according to the World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO)
08 October 2016
A hurricane pelting the coast of Florida and described as a 'monster' by a local official has brought chaos to the state, with flights cancelled, homes evacuated and theme parks shut.
07 October 2016
Low-cost airline easyJet says its profits will nosedive as terrorist attacks and air traffic control strikes are taking their toll on the company.