Travel advice for Egypt trips eased

15 March 2011 16:34

The Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheikh remained calm throughout the crisis, and Britons have not been advised to avoid it

The Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheikh remained calm throughout the crisis, and Britons have not been advised to avoid it

Officials have relaxed their advice on travel to Egypt after massive protests forced president Hosni Mubarak to step down.

Updating its travel advice for British citizens planning a trip to the North African country, the Foreign Office said the situation in the popular tourist destination of Luxor has improved significantly since Mubarak's resignation on Friday.

It added that Luxor was now regarded as "safe" - although tourists to the city might do well to ensure that they have an appropriate level of travel insurance including adequate cover for political evacuation.

A spokesman said: "Given that the situation in Luxor is now calm and the city is functioning normally, we feel the time is now right to change the advice to reflect this."

The Foreign Office has also amended its advice to British nationals in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez, who had earlier been urged to take commercial flights home where possible.

The spokesman said: "We continue to advise against all but essential travel to these cities, given that we assess the situation there is different to Luxor and subject to sudden change.

"However in light of the improved situation on the ground after the resignation of President Mubarak, we have removed our advice to British nationals without a pressing need to be in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez to leave by commercial means."

The Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheikh remained calm throughout the crisis, and Britons have not been advised to avoid it.

Share this on Facebook Tweet this Share this on LinkedIn Email this