All Policies Include Coronavirus Cover

Coronavirus FAQs

Questions about cover for coronavirus? Read our FAQs and find out what our policies can do for you. If you would like to contact us, please note we are currently only available 09:00 to 17:30 Monday to Friday due to reduced operational capacity. Thank you.

Europe health card for young travellers

26 January 2009 11:09

Europe health card for young travellers

Britons travelling to Europe have been reminded to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to complement their travel insurance.

The EHIC operates on a reciprocal health care agreement with the UK so that Britons who fall sick will get treatment in EU countries for free or at a lower cost.

Ian Crowder, public relations manager of the AA, warned that "where you are may depend on the standard of service you get".

He also added that the EHIC does not replace travel insurance and that adequate cover should be sought to protect against any unforeseen circumstances.

"[Travel insurance is] always a good idea - this will ensure that if you or a member of your party are taken ill [or are] injured you will be adequately covered," he said. recently published figures which said that one in four young people do not take out adequate travel insurance, putting their parents homes and financial security at risk should something go wrong. ADNFCR-1320-ID-18477587-ADNFCR