Know Before You Go with the FCO

Whatever your reason for travelling abroad, you're sure to want a trouble free trip. Many of the things that often go wrong for travellers can be prevented or made less stressful by taking a few simple precautions, such as those recommended by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

Who are the FCO?

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office provide straightforward travel advice and up to date country information to help British nationals plan appropriately for their trip and stay safe while they're abroad. The FCO's advice can be broken down into two categories: pre-departure and in country. Here's a selection of their tips. Just follow the links if you'd like to read more.

Pre-departure advice

  • Take out comprehensive travel insurance before you leave, making sure it covers you for everything you want to do during your trip.
  • If you are travelling in Europe, take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). It entitles you to the same level of free medical care as the residents of the country you are visiting receive. You can apply for your free EHIC at
  • Visit to get up to date information on the country you'll be visiting and to understand how the local laws and customs differ from home.

Read more pre-departure travel advice

In country advice

  • Carry a photocopy of your passport and other travel documents with you at all times.
  • Visit your local British embassy or consulate for help replacing a lost passport.
  • Act responsibly when abroad. Penalties for even trivial disturbances can be severe.

Read more in country travel advice

A little further information...

The FCO's website is packed with useful advice for British travellers, including handy checklists to use before you set off and while you're away. Visit for more, or follow @fcotravel on Twitter for breaking travel advice.

Share this on Facebook Tweet this Share this on LinkedIn Email this
  • 14 day money back guarantee
  • No credit or debit card fees
  • UK customer services
    & claims team
  • For travel up to 12 months in advance
Recommend us on Google

Google Plus

If you like our customer service,
click to +1. Thanks.

Travel & news from World First

For travel tips, stories, news and more, join our newsletter.