Save time! Click here to start your instant quote

Advice for obtaining emergency medical treatment abroad

During an emergency medical situation abroad, we are here to help you as best we can. Your policy with World First is insured by Collinson Insurance and provides round-the-clock access to a multi-lingual Emergency Assistance Service. Below you will find everything that you need to know.

For non-emergency medical claims please visit our claims page.

Claims & assistance services are administered by Collinson Insurance Services Ltd.

Before the hospital

Once you have contacted the local emergency services, call the Medical Emergency Service for advice using the number below. Operators are available around the clock, 365 days per year.

0333 005 1091

What happens when you phone the Assistance Team?

Explain that you are a policyholder with World First Travel Insurance - quoting your policy number, the date you purchased your policy and your travel dates. To help process your claim, you will need some basic information to hand:

  • Your telephone number, so you can be contacted in case you are cut off
  • The name and age of the patient and as much information about the medical situation as possible
  • The name and telephone numbers of the hospital and ward where the patient will be treated, and the name of the treating doctor (if you have them)
  • The patient's UK GP details: name, address and phone number (in case more information on current medical conditions and treatment is needed)

Paying for medical treatment

Following your call, the Emergency Service will give you a case number and talk with the hospital directly to arrange for the payment of your medical expenses. This relieves you of the burden of arranging how treatment will be paid for.

If the cost of your treatment is less than £500, you may need to pay this to the medical facility. You can then claim for these expenses when you return home. Be sure to keep all receipts and medical reports to submit with your claim. If you are in any doubt as to whether these costs will be covered, contact the Emergency Service on the number above for prior authorisation.

Using state medical facilities

You should always use state medical facilities (e.g. not private facilities) for all medical treatment. State facilities are administrated by domestic government and are often able to treat far more conditions than private facilities.

At the hospital

If you are travelling within the European Union, present the patient's EHIC/GHIC (European Health Insurance Card) on arrival.

If they don't have the information already, call the Emergency Service as soon as possible to provide the name and number of the hospital and ward in which the patient is receiving treatment.

The Emergency Service will confirm whether treatment costs are covered under your policy. They will then communicate with the hospital directly on your behalf to discuss treatment and the payment of medical expenses (if they are covered).

You may need to pay the policy excess yourself locally.

Returning home

While we understand your desire to return home following successful treatment, we must always put your medical interests first. Depending on the treatment you receive it may not be medically safe for you to travel immediately after you are discharged from hospital. We will always do everything within our power for your best interests - both medically and financially.