Call for an instant quote
0345 90 80 161
Open Mon to Fri 09:00 - 17:30 | Sat 09:00 - 16:00 (GMT)
28 November 2014 09:47
Certain genetic variants have been linked to Alzheimer's
Scientists have linked people's different genetic codes with a vulnerability to Alzheimer's disease.
Researchers looked at results from 30,000 people with a minimum age of 45, who took tests to record their ability to recall certain words and stories.
When their test results were compared with their genetic codes, it was revealed that those with lower scores had DNA variants near a gene which has been linked to Alzheimer's.
Scientists believe that these genetic variants could hold the key to understanding the mechanisms that underpin healthy ageing of the brain.
This, in turn, could lead to more preventative treatments that could protect us from Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.
Tips for travelling with Alzheimer's
Alzheimer's shouldn't be an obstacle stopping you from having a good holiday - in fact foreign travel can be very beneficial. And Alzheimer's travel insurance can help to provide real peace of mind for when you go on your trip.
Here is a list of tips to make sure your holiday remains enjoyable and stress-free.
- Preparation is key. The earlier you start planning, the better. Make sure passports, insurance, accommodation and flights are all sorted well in advance. This will seriously reduce any added stress.
- Write things down. Making a list of all the belongings you're taking with you will really come in handy. The list should tell you what's in each piece of luggage and how many items of luggage you have. Everyone on the holiday should have a copy of the list and another can be left with someone at home.
- Keep medication on you. Make sure you keep medication in your hand luggage when travelling so you won't be parted from it at any stage. Phone ahead and inform the airline if it needs to be kept refrigerated.
- Take it easy. Someone with dementia might be feeling weary after a long journey. Upon arrival, enjoy a nice cup of tea. Take it slow, there's no need to get the unpacking done immediately.
- Be transparent. Be open with everyone about the fact one or more of your party has dementia. Plan ahead and let the airline and hotel know about your circumstances. They will be able to take steps to make your trip a more comfortable and pleasurable experience for all involved.
19 January 2017
Nearly 1,000 people have had their holidays in Gambia cut short amid growing political unrest in the African state.
18 January 2017
Researchers at Cambridge University may have made a breakthrough in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, according to preliminary findings.
17 January 2017
Stansted Airport has made a bid to become Britain's next hub for long-haul travel, as passengers are promised seamless connection facilities and baggage transfer.
13 January 2017
Long-term goals such as travelling more and visiting new places have come above healthy eating and changing jobs in a list of the top New Year's resolutions.
14 January 2017
Some of the biggest airports in the UK have been forced to cancel flights as snow and blizzard conditions sweep parts of the country.
Stress could be as significant a risk factor for heart attacks and strokes as smoking, drinking and overeating, new research shows.
24 December 2016
Planned strikes by British Airways cabin crew on Christmas Day and Boxing Day have been suspended amid continuing industrial unrest ahead of the weekend break.
11 January 2017
A connection between diabetes and inflection in children could be a major breakthrough in developing a cure for type 1 diabetes, according to new research.
10 January 2017
A new trial aimed at tackling widespread loneliness among older people is successfully reducing isolation using community-based tactics, a report shows.
07 January 2017
People may be able to enjoy better brain health in later life by following a Mediterranean diet, research has suggested.
06 January 2017
Many Britons plan to cut down on the costs of their holidays in 2017, as part of their financial resolutions for the New Year.
05 January 2017
Holidaymakers have been encouraged to make the most of the fact 2017 boasts a pair of bank holiday weekends just two weeks apart.