Stomach bug 'caused Briton's death'

19 May 2011 11:37

Unexpected illnesses are a risk for overseas travellers

Unexpected illnesses are a risk for overseas travellers

A Hampshire man died while on holiday in India from a perforated bowel caused by an infection, an inquest has heard.

Samuel Banks, 20, was travelling around India with his friends when he was taken to hospital with stomach problems, which proved fatal.

For people going on overseas holidays, a medical travel insurance policy can be of vital help in case of unexpected illnesses that require hospital treatment.

Mr Banks, an aspiring film-maker from Steep, near Petersfield, was taken to the Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in New Delhi after vomiting a "dark, granular" liquid.

Despite receiving medical care he died at the hospital on June 25 last year. A post-mortem examination on his embalmed body determined perforated bowel as the cause of death.

But Barbara Borek, the pathologist who carried out the tests, said they could not find what infection Mr Banks had contracted.

David Horsley, coroner for Portsmouth and South East Hampshire, said: "He had been on an extended holiday in India with some friends for about three months.

"They had been touring around when he had developed some kind of stomach upset and he had become seriously ill and his friends had to get him to hospital and he sadly died in hospital."

Share this on Facebook Tweet this Share this on LinkedIn Email this